Tuesday, July 31, 2018

destiny away from homeland



In pursue of destiny away from your homeland

October 1978 - The unusual, scorching heat and humidity of August let up a little. The chirping sound of cicadas in the breezy evening air carried the promise of crisp, cool days ahead. I was finally convinced that Japan is not indeed in a tropical zone. But for me, there was no time to try to enjoy these pleasant signs of the advent of autumn. By now I knew for sure that I could not go back home; the honeymoon was over and I needed to come up with plans to tackle the rough road that lay ahead.

Visa and work, seemingly, the lifeline for those who cannot live in their homeland for reasons beyond their control became the two most essential aspects of my life, like water and electricity for city dwellers. Depending on where one is born and where one ends up living, these lifelines of visa and work can grow into a source for anxiety, insecurity, and ,at times, unhappiness.

This is the true story at a stage in my life when I could use my potential, energy, and opportunities to pursue a career and possibly enjoy life. If destiny takes you to a foreign land to spend the rest of your life, you would need permission to work and for that you must prove your skill is needed to obtain the permit, a daunting task, not unlike Mission Impossible. I did not expect much. I just needed social security, something I don’t have up to this moment despite the fact that I have passed retiring age but cannot think of quitting work. I don’t have a pension I can depend on. My monthly pension from the government is not enough to survive on for a week, even if I live frugally. Throughout my working age, I worked as hard, if not harder, than my husband. Nonetheless, he has a pension that he can depend on in his old age but I don’t. I have no other choice but to depend on him financially. This kind of antiquated system still exists in the 21st century where women should look upon the mercy of her husband for livelihood. If I don’t want to depend on my ‘dannasan’, literally meaning my master, I will need to work until the last breath if, God willing, I can stay healthy. This is partly because of Japan’s social security system and partly due to the conditions I was compelled to work within.

October 1978 - Changing visa status

First, I needed to change my visa status. I was told at this point getting a working visa was impossible. Among various types of visa offered by the government, there was one for foreigners who were interested in Japanese culture, also known as a “cultural visa”. It was good for two years, to be renewed every six month. I opted for this, not that I had any other options! I went to Korea to change the status of my visa, quite surprisingly, without any trouble.

Among the requirements, one was to have a Japanese sponsor. A kind Japanese man offered to be my sponsor. I had not yet even met him; he extended his offer through a friend. He was a prominent journalist, working for a prestigious newspaper company. In fact, at the embassy the officer in charge told me I had a solid sponsorship and enquired how we were related. I explained that we believed in the same religious Faith. I am sure my credible sponsor was an important factor in the visa procedure. To be eligible, of course, I had to enroll at a cultural school in two areas. One reason I was attracted to Japan was the unique art of flower arrangement, called Ikebana. I thought this as good opportunity and gladly picked out Ikebana. The other was pottery, for which I had no experience nor interest. I just had to take it to qualify for the said visa. I was also aware I needed to learn Japanese even if I was going to stay short while.

Foreigners with this kind of visa are allowed to work a few hours a week. Although I desperately needed work, I did not apply for the permit thinking I would leave soon. Nevertheless, I started looking for a job and , at about the same time, started to learn about the hurdles life throws at you.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Parvin I am quite shocked to hear about the pension system. It's outrageous they won't reward woman's work equally to the man's. Very interesting story to follow. You inspire me to do the same. lots and lots of love, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes Diana Jan, not only me but all those who work on a contract basis don't have a pension from the government they can depend on. they need to plan their social security by themselves. what i wrote is the tip of an iceberg. love and hug from Parvin

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s not strictly a male/female thing, right? Those young Japanese men who locked out of the system and just work part time or on a contract basis I’m going to fall into the same situation in the future I’d men who locked out of the system and just work part time or on a contract basis I’m going to fall into the same situation in the future, aren’t they? Or do you feel that there is something specifically sexist about the situation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way I really like the sub title to your blog. Japanese as an adjective to describe gaijin is such a juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GRRR: My voice dictation software obviously doesn't like my accent. This is what I was trying to say:
    It's not strictly a male/female thing, right? Those young Japanese men who are locked out of the system and just work part time or on a contract basis are going to fall into the same situation in the future, aren't they? Or do you feel that there is something specifically sexist about the situation at present so that it affects women more than men?

    ReplyDelete